Book: Struggling Readers Interventions that Work by J. David Cooper
App: Easy Learning
Years ago, as a young, eager student, I would have told you that a great teacher was someone who provided classroom entertainment and gave very little homework. Needless to say, after many years of K-12 administrative experience and giving hundreds of teacher evaluations, my perspective has changed. My current position as a professor in higher education gives me the opportunity to share what I have learned with current and future school leaders, and allows for some lively discussions among my graduate students in terms of what it means to be a great teacher. . .
- A great teacher respects students.
- A great teacher creates a sense of community and belonging in the classroom.
- A great teacher is warm, accessible, enthusiastic and caring.
- A great teacher sets high expectations for all students.
- A great teacher has his own love of learning
- A great teacher is a skilled leader.
- A great teacher can “shift-gears”
- A great teacher collaborates with colleagues on an ongoing basis.
- A great teacher maintains professionalism in all areas