Awe man why is summer vacation over? I am so not ready to go back to school. Why can’t we start school after Labor Day? There are a million questions that as a student you asked. Who will be my teacher? Who is in my class? Will I have friends? What do I need to do differently from the previous school year, so I can be great this year?
Many of you have goals or not, are part of a team or clubs, and some of you may be struggling to stay on top of your classes. The following 5 tips are great starters for you as you prepare for a successful school year.
- Get a Planner. Having a planner will keep you organized and always prepared for class. It will also help with time management. Most students nowadays have smartphones, so take advantage of the calendar on your smartphones. Remember your schools usually give you a free planner for the school year, so USE IT! When you don’t plan, you plan to fail.
- Set Academic Goals. This is very important as you are moving forward in your academics. You should have no more than 3 achievable goals that are obtainable. Your goals should not be stagnant. They should always be changing and you should always be growing in your learning. Remember you are setting yourself up for success, not a failure. Having some academic goals can be motivating for you in the learning process.
- Learn What Type of Learner You Are. Are you a visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learner? Every student learns differently and it is crucial you know what kind of learner you are. Once you know what kind of learner you are, it will help you be a better student and have better studying habits.
- Know What is Expected of You. Pay attention in class. Know your teacher’s expectation and follow through on them, so you can have a smooth school year. Make sure to keep the lines of communication open with all of your teachers. Never assume. For my high school students, be responsible for your learning. Stay on top of your grades and always set a time with your academic advisor to ensure that you are on the right track with your learning.
- DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! We are all guilty of turning work late or waiting at the last minute to complete the project. When you procrastinate, it can leave you feeling stress and not at your very best. Don’t let this be your habit this year. Have an agenda and keep track of when assignments and projects are due. Success only comes when you PLAN AHEAD!
Hope these easy tips will help each of you have a SUCCESSFUL school year!